Thursday, May 23, 2013

Smiling Skull Ring


Tapping yellowed bones on a cloudless night
That’s the sound my boots make on the street in front of your house
Yeah, I’m calling you out again
Wearin’ my smiling skull ring

Got your letter in my back pocket
And it’s still sealed with your kiss
Don’t need to open it to know what it says
Goodbyes always feel two-stamp heavy in the U.S. Mail

Honey, I ain’t looking for trouble
Just someone to keep me warm
Beneath this brilliant canvas of stars

And it could be you
So before you ride those silver wings that Haggard sings about
And fly away from where you once stood

Open your door
Walk out your front gate
Please face me again
Let’s spin another bottle or two

And try our luck at gettin’ as high as the moon
We have nothing to gain
And only time to lose.

4 comments: