Thursday, May 23, 2013

Always Only Yesterday



Always Only Yesterday

Some part of this makes no sense
But there were mountain passes and strangers
Beneath the face of the sun
Blood on the tracks I rode upon
Outlining the hills in bold crimson
Memory hounding the tall strange shadows
Cascading across the ground
As I made my way
Across Arizona sands and away from you

With nothing to believe in
I rode on in silence
A cold hunger in my stomach
And a strange howling in my ears
She tried to pull pictures from the fire we once stoked
Wrote it in a tear-stained letter and sent it to me
Said hot coals and warm ash soon destroyed everything
And only the cold bones of logic remained
Distance equals rate times time

Still I rode on in silence
With nothing to believe in
Only cold hunger in my stomach
And a strange howling of the wind
Some part of this makes no sense
There’s no use in remembering
She was always only yesterday
And I was my first fear;
A sad young man in a train

1 comment:

  1. I like how you gave description to "always only yesterday" near then end. I was a little lost before then. I enjoyed the imagery I obtained from the setting most.

    ReplyDelete